Friday, August 5, 2016

Neko Atsume Keychain Gashapon Review

Hey, everyone! Weird to think that summer is over 2/3 over, huh? But the Hobby Haven keeps going! Here's a quick, fun little review for you guys!

I ended up getting this for free with the purchase of some CDs from YesAsia; they run a constant promotion where if you buy two qualifying items, you can get a gashapon toy for free! You get to chose what series you want it to be from, but the toy itself will be random. I selected Neko Atsume, and waited with bated breath to see what I would get!

For the uninitiated, Neko Atsume is a fun app that you can download for smartphones. You basically have a house that you decorate in hopes of getting cute kitties to visit; you can then take pictures and share with your friends. It's surprisingly addictive!

The gashapon sold individually for about US $7, which I feel is a fair price, once you count for the currency exchange difference.


Here's the toy as it came in my order package. Note that they don't give you the plastic ball that it comes in if you were to get it from a game machine. I think it would add too much bulk to the package that way. 


The little brochure shows you what keychains are in the series. I really like the little tiger-striped cat, but all of these are cute!


The keychain is metal, with one of those typical ball chains. The top with the graphic is smooth and glossy, and features Kathmandu and Peaches, two of the rare cats in the game. I love their blobby little faces!


The back of the keychain has "Neko Atsume" in its original Japanese logo form, plus manufacturing info. Nothing too exciting. But the keychain feels solid and well-made.

This keychain is super-cute, although I do have my reservations about how well the glossy top will hold up regarding scratching. I would probably get another one if possible. However, these are currently sold out at YesAsia, and I don't know if they'll get more! I think if you like Neko Atsume or just cute, fun cat things in general, these would be great if you can find one. A quick search on eBay turned up a couple, but I wouldn't pay more than $7-8 for one. (You might be better off looking for one of the more common rubber strap keychains.)

Miss Scarlett suggests: Cute and fun, these keychains would be a great pickup if you like cute and quirky stuff!