Monday, May 19, 2014

Not a review.

I figured that it might be useful to point any interested parties to some current, active, toy and collectibles reviewers. I follow a few myself, and I find them to be entertaining and quite useful. I mostly follow a handful of channels on Youtube, and here are direct links to the channels:

1. Chad Alan: https://www.youtube.com/user/chadalantoys
2. The Doll Hunters: https://www.youtube.com/user/MommyandGracieShow
3. RadioJH's toy channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/radiojh
4. KittiesMama: https://www.youtube.com/user/KittiesMama
5. Dollastic: https://www.youtube.com/user/dollastic
6. Jason Keef: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM9dI-Hq_IHx9nl0qnBFZcw/feed

A lot of them tend to review the same types of toys and collectibles, although most of them offer a wide variety of content.

 As an aside, I often read the comments on videos, and have noticed something strange. These channels have lots of younger viewers, usually from ages 8-13 (which is too young to be using Youtube, according to its TOS, by the way) or so, and few of them seem to have a grasp of netiquette (Am I showing my age with that word?). I cannot tell you how many times I see children posting the strangest comments...a lot of them tend to be requests or pleas for the reviewer to give them the toys being reviewed, or for the reviewer to send them other toys that the reviewer owns. There are also quite a few requests for the reviewer to meet them in person, or call them on the phone. With said address or phone number provided. I would like to point out that many, many of these posters have Youtube accounts tied into public Facebook or Google Plus accounts that display their pictures and other information.

 Is it simply not common knowledge anymore to not give out sensitive information like one's phone number or address on the Internet? I can remember that being drilled into me during computer and Internet lessons at school, time and time again. If I was an unscrupulous character, I could take that information and use it to track down these children and...ugh, I shudder to think. I suppose because these Youtube channels are public, with the reviewers keeping in constant contact with their subscribers, there is a sense of security here? That because, say, the reviewer shows their face, talks about their life, replies to almost all comments, talks about how much they "love their subscribers," that the poster believes there is a type of bond or friendship between them? That it's okay to share?

 I suppose that it could be due to these young viewers being raised in the midst of the social media age. Perhaps to them it is completely normal to share most or all the details of their personal life online? I know that at that age, you tend to have a rosy view of the world around you; the world is full of adults who are nice and safe, etc, etc.

 But it just completely boggles my mind at how...well...ignorant they are to provide that much information. Do they know how much damage in real life they can do by providing personal contact information online in a public forum? Anyone can see it. I also have to admit that it surprises me to see how many children are begging--or even demanding, in some cases--to be given the reviewer's property. Why do these children think that they are entitled to another person's property? Just because someone is discussing and displaying an object online doesn't mean that it is up for public claiming! Even if someone has an item that you don't have and you want it desperately, it doesn't mean that you are entitled to that item!

 I swear, I simply don't get--oh dear, this turned into a "Kids these days" rant, didn't it? Well, in any case, those are my observations on how younger Youtube users interact with peers and content providers on toy review channels. I'm sure that this has the makings for a fascinating academic paper. Any takers?