Saturday, August 9, 2014

Miss Scarlett might have a fabric problem.

Today's post is touching on one of my hobbies that I don't advertise as widely; sewing. I've been sewing and crafting since I was a small girl, and I love making fun things for myself. I've made quilts, clothes, cosplay outfits, you name it. Jo-Ann Fabrics had a great sale this weekend with lots of 50% off fabric coupons which I took advantage of, so I thought I'd share some pics and discuss plans for them. (It's rather late at night, so please forgive the fact that I'm not as witty or articulate as normal.)

I'm something of a dab hand at t-shirt quilts. I've made 4 so far: one for myself out of some fun graphic tees, another one for myself out of shirts from college, one for my sister from her own college shirts, and one for a local charity. I'm planning to make one that is a variation, with blocks made from regular quilting cotton instead of T-shirt material. I don't have any real timeline on it; I'm just collecting pieces of fabric that I think are pretty. When I have enough to make a full-size or maybe a queen size quilt, I'll go ahead and sew it. I think I might do this as a long-running project; just make quilt after quilt as I feel like it. (I don't know what I'll do with that many quilts, but I suppose I'll think about that when I get there!)

Here is all of the fabric that I've collected so far:

Sorry for the blurriness, but my camera just did not want to cooperate. I love the paisley-like print up at the very top; I've bought about a yard and a half of it, to save for other potential projects.

I also am thinking about making a burlap-covered bulletin board. I've seen pictures on Pinterest that look adorable, so I'm going to do so with a Hello Kitty theme:
I...may or may not have specifically looked up those pictures on Pinterest after seeing this printed burlap. I think I might have a problem.

I'm not specifically making anything at the moment, but if I do, I'll upload progress pics.

Before I go, here's my latest pickup:
This is an anime called Zakuro; it's a shoujo supernatural romance series set in an alternate Meiji Japan. It's very sweet and funny, with beautiful visuals and music. It's available for purchase in a Premium Edition Set from NIS America. The release is $47 for 13 episodes on DVD, which is about the upper limit of what I'd be willing to pay (as opposed to Blu-ray, which I don't mind paying a little bit more for). But you do get some nice goodies with it. The DVDs come in an extra-large hard art box, and are packaged with an art book that also has cast interviews. You get a postcard set as a gift-with-purchase, too. Shipping is also quick and free. You can find Zakuro streaming on Hulu and on Crunchyroll for free if you want to give it a try.

Well, off to catch some shut-eye before watching the next Zakuro DVD tomorrow! Miss Scarlett, signing off!