Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Miss Scarlett's plans for her Shocktoberfest movie marathon.

As you might remember from my previous post on the subject, I'm gearing up for an October-long "Shocktoberfest" movie marathon, inspired by the likes of the marathons and showings I watched on the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and ABC Family as a kid. Granted, some of the movies I watch now aren't exactly G or PG-rated, but I'd hazard that it's still generally family-friendly. Since I'm fairly squeamish, I don't go for the ultra-violent and gory horror movies that seem to be common movie fare today, like the Saw movies. ::shudder:: So no Friday the 13th or Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street here.

But that doesn't mean there's nothing for me to watch! On the contrary, there are lots of great older movies that perfectly fit my taste to watch. I feel like I should quickly point out that in years prior to this, I had attempted to assign a "theme" to each week. I won't be doing that this year; I'll be working off a list where I assign at least one movie, TV show, or special to each day. And the list, with the exception of Halloween itself, isn't hard-and-fast, either. If I turn out to be working a longer night shift on a day that I have a full-length movie scheduled, I might switch it with another day where I only have, say, an episode or two of a TV show scheduled. I find it makes things easier this way.

So without further ado, the general watching list for Shocktoberfest, under the jump:
I will point out that this list primarily consists of shows that I either personally own on home video, have downloaded to my hard drive (only older shows that haven't been licensed for home video, don't worry), and (a few) shows that I can stream via Hulu or Netflix. There are many, many more movies that would fit the Shocktober viewing list perfectly, but they are only available on home video, and I just haven't been able to own them yet. Maybe next year?!

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)
2. Young Frankenstein (1974)
3. The Haunted Mansion (2003)
4. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
5. The Raven (1963)
6. Tales of Terror (1962)
7. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
8. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988)
9. Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001)
10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
11. Elvira's Movie Macabre (Pick any movie available via streaming; wild card!)
12. "TV special" roulette: pick up to 3 of the Halloween TV specials I have downloaded.
13. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
14. The Munsters (1964; selected episodes)
15. Bewitched (1964; selected episodes)
16. Ghostbusters (1984)
17. Ghostbusters II (1989)
18. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
19. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
20. Hellsing (2001; I'll probably watch episodes 11-13)
21. Anime-a-Go-Go, Part 1: Selected episodes from Ghost Hunt, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
22. Anime a-Go-Go, Part 2: Selected episodes from Another, the Ouran Halloween episode, the Bleach Halloween episode
23. Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (2013)
24. Van Helsing (2004)
25. The Phantom of the Opera (1943)
26. The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
27. The Mummy (1932)
28. Dracula (1931 Spanish-language version)
29. The Invisible Man (1933)
30. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
31. Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), The Wolf Man (1940), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)


And a snack shopping list, of course! Who can watch movies without some snacks? My list has both fall-themed treats, and some more "normal" snacks. I'm only eating a little bit of each thing, I don't want to gain 31 pounds while doing this! (I'll probably bake cakes and save a piece or two for myself and then take the rest to work.)

  • Popcorn (of course)
    • Act 2 makes a sweet cinnamon popcorn that I've picked up.
    • And regular, buttery popcorn of course!
  • Soda
    • I'm fond of Coke products, namely Classic Coke and Cherry Coke.
    • Although some Crush orange soda will probably appear, too.
  • Cookies!
    • Pumpkin spice Milanos are now a thing, you guys. I've discovered what I never knew I needed.
    • Pepperidge Farm caramel apple and pumpkin cheesecake cookies
    • I'm not crazy about the official Halloween Oreos, so I usually substitute the chocolate creme Oreos instead. Although they also have cookie dough Oreos this year!
  • Baked goods
    • Dark chocolate brownies
    • Dark chocolate cake
    • Spice cake (I have an assorted variety of frostings, including buttercream, chocolate, and caramel apple. I wonder which would go best with it?)
    • Pumpkin nut bread (or maybe muffins)
    • Pumpkin pie
    • Pumpkin pie bars
    • Pumpkin cake
    • Pumpkin cupcakes
  • Count Chocula cereal, yo. It's an institution.
  • Other assorted drinks
    • Pumpkin coffee, my darlings. PSL at Starbucks, Pumpkin coffee at Dunkin, plus their new pumpkin mocha and pumpkin creme brulee flavors.
    • Starbucks Fall 2014 blend coffee
    • Dark hot chocolate
    • Cider! Instant hot apple cider packs, cold cider from the grocery store, and Caramel Apple Cider from Starbucks.
  • Ice cream
    • Dark chocolate
    • Pumpkin ice cream (A local ice cream company makes this every so often. It has graham cracker swirls and is wonderful.)
  • Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin cheesecake
  • Candy
    • Halloween candy, of course!
  • Apple chips
Hmmmm, am I forgetting anything?

Edit: Here are some pics of the shopping I've done so far for munchies! And I'll reiterate, no, I am not hogging these all to myself. I'll be baking maybe once a week, and taking most of my bounty into work to share. Snacks will be rationed to last the whole month.