Friday, March 3, 2017

Miss Scarlett Cooks! Coconut Lemon Zucchini Bread

I'll make a confession; I love zucchini. It's one of my favorite vegetables, and it's so wonderfully versatile. You can put it in TONS of things, although my favorite has to be bread. Savory, sweet, it doesn't matter because it's all delicious. Welcome to the Hobby Haven.

So now that I've confessed my zucchini love, it's only fair to share one of my recipes, right? This is my favorite way to make sweet zucchini bread. The lemon and the coconut give it a sweet and rich flavor that can't be beat. Protip: you have to use pre-sweetened coconut! I made it with dry, unsweetened coconut flakes once, and they absorbed all the moisture. And given that this is a very moist bread, that was pretty shocking.

I should also add that my parents get tons of zucchini during the summer from friends and coworkers; more than they and I can eat, honestly. I end up shredding the zucchini (with a box grater) and freezing them. It keeps very nicely, honestly. This way, I can make zucchini bread all year long without running to the store!

The ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon zest**
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut

**If you don't have fresh lemons and thus can't get any zest, substitute an additions 2 teaspoons of lemon juice instead.

The tools:

  • An oven
  • Measuring cups
  • Measuring spoons
  • Two large bowls
  • A mixing spoon
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 loaf pans


How to make it:

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • While the oven is coming up to temperature, place the eggs, oil, and sugar into a large bowl and mix until combined.
  • Add the lemon zest and juice and the coconut extract to the bowl.
  • Add the zucchini to the bowl, then combine.
  • Set the bowl with the zucchini mixture to the side and take out the other bowl. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the empty bowl and stir together with a fork. Once combined, add to the zucchini mixture.
  • Add the coconut to the bowl. Mix together until just combined.
  • Spray the loaf pans with the baking spray.
  • Pour the batter into the loaf pans, taking care to add an equal amount to each pan.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes.