Monday, October 12, 2015

Odd and sods

Hey everyone! I hope you had a great weekend! How's October going for all of you?

I decided against doing a crazy "Shocktober" marathon like I did last year; it always seemed that even when I scheduled myself to watch something, I never felt like it or had the time. Instead, I've been doing things as I feel like it, and it seems to work better. For example, Icaro and I hung out over the weekend and played "Until Dawn," which is an incredibly suspenseful and creepy video game for the PS4. It plays on all types of horror movie tropes, and when we were down, I felt like we'd watched about three different types of horror movies. I also have been reading Rick Yancey's "The Monstrumologist" and Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" series; it's been a while since I found an engaging horror/supernatural series, so I was happy to have stumbled onto both. I also finally picked up "The Vincent Prince Collection, Vol. 1" BD from Scream Factory; I will be reviewing that on Halloween, so stay tuned!

In news that isn't about my life (HA!), Viz announced during NYCC that they will start streaming the English dub of Sailor Moon Crystal next month on Hulu! No word on how soon they will release it on home video, or on how long the dubbed episodes will remain for free viewing, so I would recommend watching it while you have the chance, if you are interested.

Lots of manga announced at NYCC as well; Viz announced that they're bringing over a lot of stuff that people had been begging them for: Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basuke, Yona of the Dawn, etc. None of the announcements are anything I had been waiting for, but it's great to see some long-begged for series making it to these shores. Viz also confirmed that THEY were the company that had licensed the 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime, but I don't think we'll get an explanation of why it took so long for it to get here.

DC Super Hero Girls will be launching the dolls this spring, apparently as soon as March! Definitely going to keep my eyes peeled, and maybe use this as an excuse to start looking for back issues of Wonder Woman again. The web series for this line is also up on Youtube, or you can watch episodes on the (FAN CREATED, NOT OFFICIAL) Facebook fan page for it.

And remember Mattel making un-articulated basic dolls for Ever After High? They're doing the same for Monster High. They seem to be doing this for younger fans, since these are very plain and with less accessories and plainer outfits and hair. I think these are great for younger kids, as way to get them something fun to play with that they can't easily destroy.

Speaking of Monster High, there's lots of new lines coming! The next movie is the "Great Scarier Reef," which means lots of underwater-themed dolls. Several of our regular characters turn into mermaid-like versions of themselves, and they meet lots of new (and realllllllly bizarre-looking) characters. There's a half-squid girl, a half-water spirit girl, and a two-headed hydra girl(s?). I...will be passing on this line. There's a new "weekend getaway"-type budget line, and some new characters appear that were mentioned in conjunction with Monster Exchange: Kjersti Trolleson, Isi Dawndancer, and Batsy Claro. Finnegan Wake, the merman who uses a wheelchair to get around on land (you might remember him from one of the webisodes), also made his debut, and is only for sale on Mattel's website.

Well, I'm going to stop here, since it's getting kind of late. Miss Scarlett, signing out!