Sunday, October 29, 2017

September Doki Doki Crate

Hey, everyone! It's...uh...been a while, huh? 

Well, my mother had surgery two months ago, and I've been spending almost all my time with her, helping her recover. So I've built up quite a backlog of posts, although it was completely unintentional. Today, I'm bringing you the first post in my queue, my review of the September Doki Doki Crate.

To recap: Japan Crate is a company that offers a subscription-based "surprise box" service. Like the old fruit-of-the-month club and stuff. They have several different varieties: Umai, Kira Kira, the "regular" Japan Crate, and Doki Doki. The latter is filled with various collectible and home goods. You can order the "regular" crate (filled with snacks) in different tiers, but the Doki Doki crate is one price only: $30 per month. I fully admit that I like novelty, but it seems slightly steep a monthly price to me. Fortunately, it seems that when the company doesn't have enough boxes sold per month, they offer a $10 discount on them. So if that happens, I'll probably pick them up--assuming I haven't bankrupted myself on other stuff. Check out my review after the jump!

Okay, so I fully admit that maybe this isn't so much a review as a "this is the kind of stuff you get when you subscribe/buy a crate." So it might be useful to somebody? In any event, the shipping is free but slow! It took about three weeks to get here from Japan. (I am not affiliated with Japan Crate, by the way--I get nothing, they get nothing, etc, etc). September's theme was "Happy Home," which was...well, kinda "blah" as themes go, but they have to come up with these in advance, and for how many months? I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Here's the bright pink box full of goodies. There is minimal packing material used, since the box is so full that there really isn't any space. Nothing breakable is included and everything is in plastic wrap, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.



Here is the pamphlet that goes over what everything in the crate is. And holy crap, are her eyes terrifying. Anybody else shivering over how spooky those glassy marble eyes are?


First item up is a wearable blanket! It looks like those towels you can buy for kids that they wear like hoods. I'm a little scared to wear it--even though there's nobody to see me--but it will make a nice lap throw for reading on the couch on cold days.


Second item is a Hello Kitty toothbrush holder! I don't have a toothbrush holder already, so I might actually use this. I can't figure out if it's dishwasher safe, though; I tend to toss my soap dish into the dishwasher when the soap detritus gets really caked on. (I know, I know, I'm a monster.)


Okay, so for whatever reason, I didn't think to look at the pamphlet before going through the items and it took me all day to figure out what this was supposed to be. (Hint. It's a tea infuser.) I...already have one of these, plus I think this is more garish than cute, so I'll pass it on to a friend.


The pamphlet says that "Hoppe," the little blob on the keychain here, is a mascot that's very popular with Japanese schoolchildren. This probably explains why I don't get it, and also why I have the urge to start waving my cane at those kids on the street to tell them to stay off my lawn. I just don't get it.


Ghibli merchandise! This is great; I love Kiki's Delivery Service, and especially Jiji the cat! This toothbrush is too cute to use, though. I'd be sad at the thought if using it and eventually having to throw it out.


HE'S STARING INTO MY SOUL, YOU GUYS. HOLY CRAP.


Oh lovely, more terrifying bears. Hooray!


In summation, I got some stuff that's useful, some that I didn't care for, some that are too cute to use, and merchandise printed with a horrifying bear who wants to eat my soul. I suppose that's a decent ending combination for paying $20 for a mystery box. I'll see you next time, everyone. Miss Scarlett, signing out!