Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Miss Scarlett's Holiday 2014 Shopping List!

It's getting colder, the air is getting crisper, and the stores are already decked out in red and green. It's the holiday season once again, folks. Welcome to the Hobby Haven.

As you know from my many, many earlier rambles (because if there's one thing that Miss Scarlett likes more than shopping, it's talking), I'm pretty much done with my holiday gifts for my family. (I make scrapbooked calendars with scans of family photos, they're a big hit.) But this is the time of the year when I go on the hunt for bargains, because I love a good sale.

So, what am I on the prowl for this holiday season?

  • Digital games: I'm hoping to get some good discounts on the games on my GOG and Steam wishlists. I'm especially interested in picking up The Longest Journey and the Tales of Monkey Island bundle if I can get it for about 50% off (hoping to get it for $7 or so). Discounts for the other assorted indie games on my list would be nice, too.
  • Ever After High Duchess Swan Signature doll - It will kill me not to have Duchess. The Signature dolls are about $20 or so, and I doubt that Duchess' price will drop because of the holiday season. I'll probably have to buy her NOT on sale, sob. (Still don't have a release date for her, COME ON MATTEL)
  • PS3 - Yes, yes, I still don't have a PS3. Honestly, 99% of the PS3 games that were released in NA didn't appeal to me, so I saw no reason to get one. HOWEVER. Persona 5 is coming soon for the PS3. And the PS4, but guess which console is still unbelievably expensive and not backwards compatible? And guess which other console is now getting huge sales? And guess who discovered the Atelier series for the PS3? I am not looking to spend more than $150 on one of these, so we'll see if this ends up happening or not.
  • Disney Infinity Anna and Elsa game piece character things - I don't care about Disney Infinity, I just want collectible Frozen figurines. Gimme.
  • Anime Blu-rays: I'm counting on the RightStuf holiday sales for some good discounts. (You can get up to 50% off of Blu-rays, which is amazing.) I'm particularly focusing on getting the Persona 4 adaptation, and either the Spice and Wolf re-release or the Vampire Princess Miyu re-release. Or let's be realistic, all of them.

I have a bunch of items coming via pre-order that will be making an appearance, as well. Some anime (the first Sailor Moon Blu-ray boxset, and the Funimation.com Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray boxset), some manga (the latest installments in the series I follow), and (assuming it doesn't get delayed again) a book called "Silver Wings of the Campanula," a "gothic fantasy romance set in the late 1920's." It's being released by a small press that I want to support, so I'm snapping up their publications as soon as I can.

There are some other items that I'm contemplating but which aren't huge priorities:

  • Monster High Frankie Stein Sweet Screams doll - I've been waffling back and forth on picking her up for a while. The Sweet Screams line are exclusive to Target, and are intermittently in stock at my local store. They are roughly $25, and I am hoping that there will not only be more of them on Black Friday, but that we could maybe see a sale on them to $20 or lower.
  • Ever After High C.A. Cupid Thronecoming doll - It took me forever to decide to get this. I don't have any particular devotion to Cupid, but her design for this line has won my heart over time and oh my god this rhymes. Ahem. Toys R Us is offering her for $19.99 for the holiday season, which is good. 
We'll see how the holiday sales turn out. Will I strike out or score? This is Miss Scarlett, signing out!