Saturday, November 22, 2014

Random news roundup!

Whooo! It's been a long time without updating! Sorry about that, but Miss Scarlett got swamped with work and has had to do overtime covering for a colleague. But Thanksgiving break approaches, with the promise of some down time. And shopping! And deals. Deals everywhere! Some nattering about my shopping after the cut.


Before I say anything else, I want to state that I'll be doing a brief review of Viz's new Sailor Moon release of Season 1, Part 1. I purchased the limited edition set, which is a BD/DVD combo pack. I'm going to try and post it shortly before Thanksgiving, when I'm on break.

I felt bad for not dropping a line about this earlier, but Good Old Games started up their fall sale--essentially, a pre-Black Friday sale that is running until the 25th. Hundreds of games are on sale, and they also have flash sales and daily specials. I snapped up a few, and have held off on others for the time being. I was able to pick up the Tales of Monkey Island bundle ($3.49), the other Sam and Max bundles I didn't have yet ($2.99 and $3.49), and The Longest Journey ($1.99). As you can see, I like to get longer games when they're on sale for very cheap. I personally bite when they're 70% off or more. The rest of the games on my wishlist haven't hit that sweet-spot price yet, so I am patiently waiting. I'd especially like to see the Blackwell Epiphany go for a good price this holiday season. And if not, I have *plenty* of games in the meanwhile.

RightStuf let loose Wave 2 of their Black Friday sales earlier this week. I still didn't bite, though. Again, same deal as before: I either already owned items, or just didn't care for them. The one exception is the DVD boxset of Vampire Princess Miyu, which got license-rescued by Maiden Japan a few years ago. (I remember renting the DVD singles of Tokyopop's release at the local Blockbuster...and now I feel old.) I'll hold off on getting Miyu until they release some more items that I want. As a reminder, RightStuf holds the sale prices of these Black Friday sale items into their 12 Days of Christmas sale. So if you see something you like on sale during this Black Friday sale (and it doesn't have a counter, meaning it's in limited supply), you can reasonably expect it to be in stock and at the same price until the end of the Christmas holidays.

The Monster Exchange dolls from Monster High have been spotted in the wild at various Target locations across the nation! They are also on Amazon, retail price is about $20. Although I want Draculaura and Lagoona, I'm putting their purchase off for the meanwhile. I'm hoping to maybe get some Target gift cards for Christmas, and encounter them in the wild. (If they were on Target.com, I'd bite since they're offering free shipping right now.) Mattel is re-releasing the "Original Ghoul" first versions of Frankie, Clawdeen, Cleo, and Draculaura, and they are available now. They look very close, but with fewer accessories, and are about $15. They will also be available in spring of next year in an online-only 6-pack with Ghoulia and Lagoona. My doll-collecting friend and I will probably buy the pack together and split it between her and her mother, so I'm excited!

Still no news of anticipated street dates for Ever After High's Duchess, Kitty, and Ginger dolls beyond "holiday 2014." More images of the Spring Unsprung dolls have been leaked, and it's definitely cemented my decision to get Cerise and Cedar. The movie will be released in spring of next year, so we'll probably see the dolls either around that time or shortly before. The lack of EAH release dates is driving me up the wall, which is not good.

I bought some new dolls a few weeks ago, but I probably won't get around to reviewing them until December/January. I'm trying to stick to the every-other-week review schedule to make sure I have enough material to keep this blog going beyond my inane ramblings. But I have one Ever After High doll, and one Monster High doll. To make it fair, of course.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but Bandai has announced Figuarts versions of Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Chibi-Moon. I'm definitely picking Tux up--he comes with his trademark top hat and cape, natch, but also a rose and the Star Locket. He's a little more expensive, at roughly $55. I'm guessing the amount of accessories and the detachable cape add to that. But I'm not very amused at how each figure's been going up in price. After I get Tuxedo and (whenever they announce her) Pluto, I'm done. Unless they announce they're making Figuarts of the Starlights. Because I'm a tool.

I think that should be it for now; I might spend a bit of time today updating the Holiday Shopping Guide, but we'll see how much work I have to do. Miss Scarlett could use a nap here.