Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Miss Scarlett, what are you buying this year?

A.K.A. What can you expect to see reviewed at the Hobby Haven this year?

I figured I'd do this to give you guys a general idea of what I'm planning on reviewing this year. It's all subject to change, of course, so please don't hold me 100% to anything!



Sewing and Crafts:

I've been asked to participate in a holiday craft fair this year, and I have a rough idea of what I'd like to make. I've been experimenting with making different accessories over the years, and I have the materials to make a whole bunch of one of my favorite types of accessories. The problem is that I need to experiment more to see how sturdy I can make them! (I don't want to make things that will fall apart at the slightest touch!) Curious as to what I'm making? Stay tuned! (Also, expect random posts with fabric I've bought, because Miss Scarlett has a fabric problem, children.)

Toys:

I'm trying to be very good about this and not commit myself to buying too many dolls. My doll-collecting friend (I really need to think of a good pseudonym for her!) and I will be splitting up the Monster High Original Ghouls 6-pack released in the spring. I will also be searching for the Monster Exchange Draculaura doll. I am still debating plunking down the cash for Skull Shores grayscale Frankie Stein. In regards to Ever After High, I know that I will be getting the Spring Unsprung Cedar Wood and Cerise Hood dolls, and Duchess Swan's basic doll. I am debating whether or not I want Ginger Breadhouse, so I suppose I'll have to wait for more promotional information to be released. Darling Charming has been announced, but no release window has been given for her. I suppose that it will be this year, but who can say? I'll be keeping an eye out for any other new lines announced.

Figures:

I have the Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune Bandai S.H. Figuarts on pre-order; they will be coming in the next few weeks/months, so keep an eye out for the reviews! I will be picking up Tuxedo Mask (who is going to be released in May) and Sailor Pluto (whenever she's announced--come on, Bandai!), as well. I am still missing Sailors Mercury and Mars, but given how many other purchases are on my plate, I might have to ask for them for my birthday or Christmas. I am not sure if Bandai will be making Figuarts of any other characters. If they made the Sailor Starlights or Princess Kakyuu, I would definitely order them. I'm also ordering the Frozen Queen Elsa Nendoroid, because Frozen. I think that's all the figures I'll be ordering this year--unless Good Smile makes a Princess Anna Nendoroid. 

Video Games:

I am deeply committed to picking up Persona 5 the instant it is available for pre-order. 1 day rush shipping, take time off from work, the works. I was sort of a Kickstarter junkie this past year, so I have a bunch of pre-paid games coming up, too. There's a bunch of PC titles coming up--the re-release (re-mastering?) of Grim Fandango, some indie visual novels and otome games (Ozmafia, yes!), and....yeah, I should probably focus on playing my backlog too, huh?

Books:

I've been refraining from buying novels lately, given that I have a really big backlog to work through. For a few years, I would go to library discard sales and get armloads of books for a dollar each. Of course, this means I have boxes of books just sitting around, waiting to be read. So the only new books I've been buying are manga books, which are far more niche. Their success tends to hinge upon early sales, so I pre-order my favorite ones. I don't really do book reviews, but I can say that I'm looking forward to some sequels of the one or two books I've bought new over the past year.

DVDs and BDs:

I will be buying Viz's releases of Sailor Moon, no questions asked. This year will see the release of Part 2 of Season 1, both sets of Season 2, and the first set of Season 3. Because I want the limited BD/DVD editions, it's going to get pretty expensive, so I'm not really committing to buying any other anime or movies. If I have some spare cash, I'll pick up some shows during the RightStuf holiday sales.

Electronics:

I tend to hold off on buying consoles and handhelds for a while, until the price drops significantly. That's why I've been holding off on a 3DS for a while--never buy the first iteration, because they make at least one or two upgraded versions later. Now Nintendo has announced the "New 3DS," which is a sort of 3DS 2.0; it will run 3DS games but also "New 3DS" games. Like how a Playstation 2 had exclusive games but was also Playstation 1 backwards-compatible. I might spring for it this year. 

I'm looking over this list and weeping. Miss Scarlett needs a better job, kids.