Saturday, March 21, 2015

Odds and Sods

Lots of little news piece to round up here!



So it looks like Funimation has had enough of a positive reception to their offering premium releases of certain titles that they are continuing to do so. They have announced that this May, they will be offering a premium edition of the first season of Darker Than Black, and that a premium edition of Soul Eater will be released in June. They have previously released both of these series before, but this will be the first release of Darker Than Black's first season on Blu-ray. I am really struggling with this one, as I already own DTB season 1 on DVD. While I would love a Blu-ray upgrade, I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay a premium edition price for it. (As of right now, Right Stuf is offering it for $66.) Maybe if it was a show that I was really hooked on...maybe. I think that I will wait and see if Funimation offers a standard BD edition. But in any case, I think we can safely say that we will see more premium editions from Funimation in the future.

Now, in Ever After High news, we've got confirmation for yet another new line, Fairest on Ice, which seems to be a figure-skating line. We've gotten pictures of three dolls: Poppy, Ashlynn, and.....Duchess! I'm still not loving her black hair (as opposed to her webisode white hair), but I'm sure I can think of something to fix that. No word on when we can expect to see this. We've also gotten tons of pictures for the Way to Wonderland dolls; the WtW special will be airing in August, presumably on Netflix? Also pictures of an alternate version of Raven, Evil Raven Queen. I'm guessing that it will be the same situation as Cerise Wolf: an alternate what-if version of the character. I wonder if we might see more of the Rebels as what-if versions? No word on if this is an event-exclusive doll or not. And the websiodes are now regularly airing again! Here's hoping that some of the new characters (Darling, Rosabella, etc.) show up soon!

FLASH SALE NEWS! This weekend ONLY, you can get dozens of games for UNDER A DOLLAR on the PSN online store. Some of these games are good, some are shovelware, but you can't beat these prices. I personally recommend the Sam & Max games, and Katamari Damacy. There's also a studio sale on Atlus games, ending on the 24th. Or, if PC is more of your thing, Steam is also running a weekend sale, offering heavy discounts on games from 2k. You can get some great bundles for Bioshock, Borderlands, and Civilization. They also have a HUGE mega-pack with over 20 of their games for only $50, which is a really good bargain, particularly if you're interested in their bigger franchises.

(I've noticed that even though I love collecting physical copies of games, I've started buying more and more digital versions of games, mainly because it is so much cheaper to do so. I was adamantly opposed to digital versions when I was younger, but the more cost-conscious older Miss Scarlett appreciates being able to get a game--new--for a dollar. Isn't interesting how we can change our thoughts and minds on particular subjects as we get older?)

Also in game-related news, Square Enix (the folks who've brought you Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc.) are running a survey that closes on the 29th. They are asking their fans to give them feedback on the types of games they play, the consoles they play on, and what game/s that they would like to see Square Enix make in the future. This is an awesome opportunity for fans of ANY of SE's franchises to let them know their thoughts. For my part, I requested that they localize more games for the Vita in North America, as well as consider localizing and porting some of their older Japan-only games to the PSN and Virtual Console. This is your chance, guys! Want to see a Final Fantasy VII remake for the PS4? Sequels to classic franchises like Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger, and the SaGa series? Or maybe compilation sets of their long-running series like Final Fantasy? Speak and let your voice be heard! (You will also be entered into a drawing to win a SE gift certificate, if that also helps as an incentive.) The only thing you have to lose is the time spent filling out the survey.

I think that's going to be all for now, so enjoy the rest of your weekend, guys! Miss Scarlett, signing out!