Friday, July 31, 2015

Miss Scarlett Cooks! Banana Bread

Hi, everyone! This is a milestone; my 100th post here at the Hobby Haven. And to celebrate, I'm sharing my favorite, signature recipe: Miss Scarlett's Banana Bread. Seriously, I don't even share the recipe with my family. But here it is, just for you~ (Everything, as always, is after the jump.)

As a quick note, if you have dairy/egg concerns, you can sub out the butter for oil, and remove the egg. It will still taste okay.


The Ingredients:

  • 2 to 3 very ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup melted butter or canola oil
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar**
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg***
  • 1 box banana pudding mix****
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
**White or brown, it doesn't matter; it can be bumped up to 1 cup if you want it to be much sweeter.
***I've substituted pumpkin pie spice for this, and it tasted pretty good!
****You can use vanilla pudding if you can't get banana, but I personally think the banana pudding tastes better. I promise that this is the last asterisked thing in this recipe.


The Tools:

  • An oven 
  • A loaf pan
  • Measuring spoons
  • Measuring cups
  • Mixing bowl
  • Mixing spoon
  • Fork
  • Cooking spray (I prefer the kind made especially for baking that has flour added to it already)
  • Cake tester (or toothpick or metal skewer...you get the idea)


How to make it;

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; grease a loaf pan.
  2. Using a fork, mash the bananas in the mixing bowl until smooth. stir in the melted butter or oil.
  3. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Then, mix in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Add the spices and pudding. Last, mix in the flour.
  4. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for an hour to an hour and 10 minutes. Check with the tester to make sure it's good to go; it should come out clean when you stick it in the loaf of bread.
  5. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

I admit, I have a problem following the last step. I've been known to start devouring it straight from the pan. And now I want to start making some...gotta go! Miss Scarlett, signing out!