Monday, January 4, 2016

Doll Stuff

Hello, everyone! I have a little bit of "down time" at work, so I'm putting up some little bits of news here.

There's quite a bit of Ever After High news to share: first of all, remember the "Birthday Ball" line I mentioned earlier? The pastel-colored basic dolls? Looks like the line will include two "normal" dolls: Rosabella Beauty and Cedar Wood! The dolls are scented (Rosabella smells like sugar cookies, Cedar is citrus-scented, I think), and are Target exclusives, and are available NOW. No word about the basics, though... "Dragon Games" has a bunch of new stuff! The baby dragons that the girls adopt are available as little toys, perfectly sized for the dolls, and are available for $5 each exclusively at Walmart. Also a Walmart exclusive? A Dragon Games Poppy O'Hair doll! I'm surprised, given that the lines have six dolls at a time. So this is quite different. The Dragon Games movie will be released on January 29th on Netflix. Mattel will also release an EAH Castle/School playset this year; no dolls included, no word on price and release date. (Phew, my fingers are getting tired!) "Epic Winter" will get two new "snow pixie" dolls (like the "forest pixies" from Dragon Games), and sometime this year we will get releases of the characters' pets as little toys.

DC Super Hero Girls are launching soon! The release window is spring 2016, but I'm hearing rumors that they could be released as early as March. So we'll see how that goes; it's the eternal struggle between trying to get one ASAP and waiting later to possibly get it a few dollars cheaper. The dolls will be $19.99 on launch, and the 6-inch action figures are supposed to launch at the same time, for $9.99. There will be a "school" playset for the action figures, but it really looks more like a type of obstacle course. But whatevs. I'm just glad to see them committing to this line.

I just don't know what to do about Monster High anymore...Mattel has confirmed that they are changing the face molds for the dolls. Apparently, too many parents were complaining about them being "dark and scary." so our favorite characters are getting a more "child-friendly" makeover. I will commit to buying up the dolls on my backlog, but I really don't want to buy the new dolls, and I'm not the only one. The face molds just aren't up to snuff; they look way too Barbie-like for my tastes.The outfits displayed on the new "rebooted" dolls are plain and uninteresting. Really, it's like all the energy and creativity has been sucked out of them. The same with the face molds for Ever After High...although all Mattel has been doing for those is changing them to be more "smiley." Not as bad, but still annoying.

There might come a point where I just stop collecting dolls. I'm not looking forward to it, but if it happens, then so be it.

Miss Scarlett, signing out.