Friday, May 27, 2016

Blind Box Review: Pusheen Surprise Plush! Series 1: Snack Time!

Hello, everyone, and welcome to the Hobby Haven! Today, I've got a review of something that I haven't had in a long time--blind boxes! I kind of miss collecting them, even if they're designed to bewitch, bother, and bankrupt you.

But first off, let's talk about Pusheen. Pusheen is love. Pusheen is life. Pusheen is pretty much my spirit animal. She's a chubby grey tabby cat who loves eating, playing, eating, being lazy, and eating. I don't have much Pusheen merch, which is a shame, because I just want to plaster her over everything. But then I found these. (Check them out after the jump!)



I found out about these darlings completely by accident thanks to the Pusheen Facebook page. I was just scrolling through my News Feed one day when lo and behold, an unboxing video appeared! And what was it advertising? Pusheen blind boxes. I think I lost my mind. You have no idea how crazy I was going looking for these.

I was convinced they'd be at my local Barnes and Noble, because that's where 90% of all pop culture merchandise seems to crop up, but I was sadly mistaken. I searched frantically, and finally managed to figure out where they're sold! You can get them at the Pusheen web store, although I found a slightly cheaper deal at eBay. And also at Amazon! They retail for about $10, although slight variations in price and shipping costs will pop up depending on the retailer. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, though. But it seems that $10 is the market price for these larger, plush blind box toys.


All Pusheen stuffed toys are made by Gund, who are really great at making cuddly, soft, adorable stuff animals. The colors of this box are so soft and sweet! It makes me think of an ice cream shop for some reason. 


The theme is "snack time," hence the designs featuring food. I...really do want them all, but that will be $80. Can I do it? Will I resist the temptation? .....I'm going to sit in a corner and cry. The designs even seem to vary in color, depending on the food.


The top of the box features a nice drawing of Pusheen. Super cute! The top is a little bowed out, as you can see in the last picture, but the box wasn't too damaged overall. The top of the box is held down with a bit of glue, but it pulled off without too much issue, and the box is still intact. (Which is good because I want to keep this one! Too cute!)


Even the foil wrapper that the toy comes in is detailed, with little Pusheens everywhere. I was able to pull the bag open easily, like a bag of chips. I'm pleased with how well-constructed these packing materials are! And inside is...


Cupcake Pusheen! She's a soft, pastel pink instead of her usual grey, and her facial details are stitched in a deep purple. The cupcake is frosted in lilac (what flavor is it?), and has a greenish wrapper. It's a pretty seriously sized cupcake, given it's about a third of the size of her body. Her whiskers are a little cockeyed and won't settle down. And she squishes! Pusheen's fur is super soft, and she's stuffed with some kind of polyfill that lets you squeeze her.


Her tabby stripes are an even paler lilac. The stitching on this toy is impeccable! There's a metal loop (the kind that you often see on keychains) attached to the top of her head. So is this a keychain? Is it attached so you can hang it from something? What's the purpose?


More Pusheen, this time on the tag.

Now, overall, this is fun and adorable. If you're specifically looking for a stuffed Pusheen toy, there are bigger ones that you can get that might be a better value for your money. But you're concerned about space, or you're looking for something more easily portable, this is right up your alley. It's a little bit on the expensive side, but I think that's just a side effect of having a well-made product. 

I love these, I love these SO MUCH. It is physically painful that I can't get these at my local Barnes and Noble. I want more. I want to fill a pit with these and swim in them like Scrooge McDuck. Since it's series 1, this gives me hope that there is a series 2 and that my life will soon be filled with adorable stuffed Pusheens.

Miss Scarlett suggests: If you like blind boxes or Pusheen, give these a try!