Thursday, October 20, 2016

Nintendo Switch!

Whoaaaa, have you guys seen the news from Nintendo? They just unveiled their new console, the Nintendo Switch. From what I've seen of the trailer, it appears to be a hybrid console-handheld unit. It's a little hard to describe, but basically the Switch is a tablet. If you want to use it as a console, there is a charging unit that you dock it into and then hook up to your TV. You then use a dedicated controller to play the game. If you want to use the Switch as a handheld, you remove it from the dock, and just take it with you. There are detachable mini-controllers on the side, plus a part that pops out of the back so you can stand the tablet up.

Here is the Siliconera article, which has the trailer available: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/20/nintendo-officially-unveils-their-next-console-the-nintendo-switch/

Nintendo has also already announced a list of third-party developers who will be working with them. I see my three favorites (Atlus, Level 5, and Spike Chunsoft) on the list, so I am hoping to see some fun games from them! One of my friends who loves gaming on the go is already crossing his fingers that Atlus will port Persona 5 to the Switch; I'm hoping for a new Professor Layton game. (And a new Shin Megami Tensei game. And a new Ace Attorney game. And another Bravely Default or Legend of Legacy. And...well, you get the idea.)

Nobody seems quite sure yet whether or not Nintendo will discontinue making separate handheld and console units. Maybe they will focus their efforts from here on out with making hybrid units. I tend towards consoles, myself, although I have historically bought Nintendo's handhelds because of the good third-party games made for them. I suppose only time will tell, although I can safely say that I won't be even considering getting the Switch until I see the games to be offered. (No word on the price either, although I've heard rumors that the unit will be offered by itself and in a bundle, so both will obviously be priced differently.)

According to other rumors, more info should be arriving next week. I'm most curious about the launch titles, and the pace of games arriving after launch. Lots of stuff to look forward to! Miss Scarlett, signing out!