Saturday, September 19, 2015

Tokyo Game Show Highlights

Work is keeping me busy--I'm honestly surprised by how much I love this job; I didn't hate my previous one, but didn't feel excited to go to work--but I'm doing my best to still post content and keep up on news! The Tokyo Game Show was this past week, and brought a lot of information on new and upcoming games. I've got a lot of info after the jump!



Well, Tokyo Game Show has more or less come and gone, bringing with it some sad news: Persona 5, which developer Atlus swore up and down was being released at the end of this year, is being delayed to next summer. IIRC, the game is mostly done, but the developer has stated that they are taking the extra time to polish the game, since it is bigger and more complex than anything they have made before. I understand why they're doing it, but I am so, so disappointed now that I can't play it over Christmas. Atlus, next time, don't announce release windows until you are 90% ready to go! It's what you normally do!

So it looks like I'll be playing this during the summer break next year instead. I already have money saved for the game, so it's not like I need the extra time to save...I guess I'll just use the extra time to beat a couple more games on my "to finish" list.

In less depressing news, Atlus has stated that they are making some type of Persona 5 anime; whether this is a full-length TV series (like Persona 4), a movie (like Persona 3), or a promotional short (like many other companies do), I'm interested. I wonder what form it will take...

Capcom has also announced Gyakuten Saiban 6/Ace Attorney 6, to be released next year, and confirmed that it will be brought to the U.S.! Plus, there will be an Ace Attorney anime series made, also apparently debuting next year. All I can say is, ABOUT TIME YOU GUYS. I have been waiting for that for years!

We'll be getting Star Ocean 5 next year as well, plus more news on Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, which will be interesting. I'm sure we won't be seeing hide nor hair of the latter two games until 2017, given how complex and huge they are. Square Enix knows how much people have been clamoring for these, so they're definitely going to be taking their time on them.

Square Enix also gave more information on the "Project Setsuna" game they showed at E3. The full title is "Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna," They're actively marketing this as a throwback of sorts to the classic RPGs they made back during the 1990s Playstation glory days. Sort of tapping into or recreating the feelings of nostalgia, if you will. The battle system is apparently similar to Chrono Trigger's, which interests me, but the visuals look a little too simplistic for a PS4/Vita game. It looks like Bravely Default, which was a 3DS game. I'm not saying visuals should be everything, but if you have a more powerful graphics engine, why not take advantage of it...? I'll probably end up getting it anyway, if it's anything like how they're marketing it, but I guess I'm more interested in seeing something with visuals like Legend of Mana or SaGa Frontier 2, with soft watercolor visuals. Oh, well.

Oh, and the SaGa game for Vita is still on! The release date got bumped to next year, and the full title is revealed as SaGa: Scarlet Grace. Some character artwork has been released, but no news about story, battle system, etc. We shall see, I suppose, but it's hard to get hyped when there is so little to go on!

So it looks like 2016 is going to be pretty big, at least for me. Not one, but THREE games I'm excited to play (which are all either confirmed or pretty damn likely to hit our shores), plus a new anime...looks like I'll be pretty busy. It's a shame that we couldn't get any of them this year, but we can't be having everything, I suppose.

Anyway, I need to finish up this coffee break, so Miss Scarlett is signing out!